Concealed Carry Guide


Carry In Vehicle SEE DETAILS
Must Notify Officer NO
Carry In State Parks Allowed SEE DETAILS
No Weapons Signs Enforced SEE DETAILS
Open Carry Permitted YES
Carry In Liquor Establishments YES
Constitutional Carry NO

Alabama Permit Information

Alabama gun laws allow concealed carry permits to be issued at the county level. Applicants must be at least 18 or older and meet other criteria. Applications can be made at the local Sheriff's office in your county of residence. The sheriff must either grant or deny your application for a permit within 30 days of your submission. Fees and renewals vary across counties. Some counties will notify holders of permits if they are due for renewal and then other counties will not notify.

states that
honor an alabama permit
state permits
alabama honors

Alabama Pistol Permit


  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Reside in the county where you file the application
  • Have no convictions of violence
  • Must be a US citizen or legal alien.
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons


Follow these steps to obtain a permit;

  1. Obtain the application form from your local county Sheriff.
  2. Complete the form.
  3. Submit your application to the Sheriffs Office in the county you reside in.
  4. You will be notified by mail if your application has been approved.

Pistol Permit Application – Shelby County


  • You must renew an Alabama Pistol Permit before it’s expiry date.
  • The renewal can be done by your local County Sheriff.
  • A number of counties will advice you by mail that your permit needs to be renewed.

Renewal fee’s vary between counties.


You can select how long the permit is valid for. Fees are set by the local Sheriff and vary between counties but are similar to the fees here;

New Permits:
$20 (1 year)
$40 (2 years)
$60 (3 years)
$80 (4 years)
$100 (5 years)

CCW Reciprocity Map


CCW permit recognition
  • Permit honored
  • Permit not honored
  • Residential permits only
  • Issuing state

State Reciprocity List

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Pistol Permit Forms

Download Your Forms

Where Can I Conceal Carry?

Places Off-Limits

  • Premises of a public school composed of K12 grades
  • School bus used for K12 grades
  • Demonstrations at public places
  • University of Alabama
  • Building of a police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
  • Inside any facility hosting a professional athletic event not related to firearms which is sponsored by a private or public elementary or secondary school or any private or public institution of post secondary education.
  • Inside a facility which provides inpatient or custodial care of those with psychiatric, mental, or emotional disorders.
  • Inside a courthouse or courthouse annex
  • Prison, jail, halfway house, community corrections facility, or other detention facility for those who have been charged with or convicted of a criminal or juvenile offense.
  • Building in which a District Attorney’s office is located
  • Building in which a county commission or city council is currently having a meeting
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Places You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed in Off-Limits

Gun Laws To Know

YES/NO – Without a permit

Without a permit, you can still legally carry in a vehicle but the handgun must be unloaded and locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.
You must have a Permit to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle.

The Law
13A-11-73(b) – Alabama Code

YES – Without a permit

Open carry is legal in Alabama if a person is at least 18 years old and legally able to posses a firearm. You must have a permit/license to carry a loaded gun in a vehicle.

The Law


There is nothing in Alabama gun laws that state you must inform a law enforcement officer you have a firearm when approached on official business. The law does require that you carry your permit when carrying a concealed firearm in a vehicle or on your person.

The Law
– Alabama Code

Alabama is not a Constitutional Carry state yet. The Senate has passed laws in favor of permitless carry but they still have a few hurdles to go through before becoming law.

It is legal to carry in the following areas;

State Parks: YES
State/National Forests:    YES
State Wildlife Management Areas:    YES
Road Side Rest Areas:   YES

The Law
Admin Code 220-5-.08   Only Handguns 
Admin Code 220-2   Only Handguns


In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.


“No Weapons” signs are not mentioned in Alabama gun laws. We have not been able to find any further information so advise you to follow the recommendation below.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

Get in Touch

Jefferson county sheriff


Monday – Friday 8am – 4:30pm

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed


Address 2200 Rev. Abraham Woods Jr Blvd.

CityBirmingham, AL 35203

Phone (205) 325-5728

Leave a Comment