arizona state seal


Carry In Vehicle YES
Must Notify Officer NO
Carry In State Parks AllowedYES
No Weapons Signs Enforced YES
Open Carry Permitted YES
Carry In Liquor Establishments SEE DETAILS
Constitutional Carry YES

Permit Information

Arizona gun laws are very permissive and allow any person who can legally possess a firearm in the state of Arizona to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. Arizona still maintains a “Shall Issue” policy for reciprocity reasons. This allows residents and non-residents to travel out-of-state with a concealed firearm if the state they visit honors an Arizona permit. There are currently 37 states that will honor an Arizona permit.

states that
honor an arizona permit
state permits
arizona honors

CWP Reciprocity Map


CWP permit recognition
  • Permit honored
  • Permit not honored
  • Residential permits only
  • Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, , Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Districts & Territories
District of Columbia, New York City, Guam, Puerto Rico

Permitless Carry

Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia have “Permitless Carry.” If you can legally possess a firearm then you may carry it concealed in those states without a Permit/License.


Arizona is an “Unrestricted” and “shall issue” state. Shall issue is used for reciprocity.
Non-Resident permits available.
Unrestricted – permits are not required.
The permits are valid for 5 years.

  • Must be 21 years old or more
  • You are a resident of Arizona or a US citizen
  • You are not unlawfully present in the United States
  • You have completed an approved firearms training class
  • You have no pending charges
  • You have not been convicted of a felony
  • You have not been diagnosed as mentally ill
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Follow these steps to obtain a permit

  1. Determine if you meet the qualifications to obtain a concealed weapons permit.
  2. You will need to contact the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit, via email to request an application packet which contains an application, two fingerprint cards and a return envelope.
  3. Using the return envelope provided, send the completed application, adequate documentation which demonstrates firearms safety competence, two complete sets of fingerprints, the appropriate fee in the form of a money order, cashier’s or certified check; payable to the AZ DPS to the CWPU.
  4. You will be notified by mail if your application has been approved.
New Permits: $60
Renewal: $43
Replacement: $10
LEOSA Certification: $20

Accepted forms of payment
Money order, Cashier’s or Certified check – payable to the AZ DPS to the CWPU


Where You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • You can take a firearm onto school property if you follow the procedure below;
    You are an adult in a vehicle and the firearm is unloaded before entering school grounds. Furthermore, if you must exit your vehicle, the firearm must remain unloaded and be secured (locked) within the vehicle, out of plain view.
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below

Where You Cannot Carry

  • Liquor retailer who has posted a sign prohibiting weapons
  • The grounds of any school
  • Polling places on election day
  • Correctional facilities
  • Nuclear or hydroelectric generating stations.
  • Any establishment or event open to the public where the operator makes a reasonable request for you to give them custody or remove the weapon from the premises. A sign would qualify for such request. By law, cities and counties are required to offer on-site storage if they ban weapons but not all are in compliance
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Details on Arizona Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the Department of Public Safety. Applications are mailed to;

Concealed Weapon Permit Unit
PO Box 6488
Phoenix AZ 85005

75 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 60 days of the application being received. They have another 15 days once the 60 days has expired to issue the permit.
NO – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
Nothing in the Arizona gun laws state that you must inform Law Enforcement you have a firearm if stopped by them. The law does say that if an officer asks if you have a firearm you must give him an answer.
Arizona gun laws give “No Weapons” signs the force of law. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

YES – Without a Permit/License
If you are 21 or older and legally allowed to own a firearm you can carry in a vehicle.
YES – Without a Permit/License
You are legally entitled to open carry in Arizona. Only persons that have a permit/license can carry in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises.
YES – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
Only if you have a permit. Without a permit, it is illegal to carry in any place that serves alcohol.
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area.
You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas

Get in Touch

Department of Public Safety
Concealed Weapon Permit Unit


Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed


Address 2222 W. Encanto Blvd.

CityPhoenix, AZ 85009

Phone (602) 256-6280


  1. I would like to get a CCW for Arizona, I live in the California, and have applied for my CCW in California also.

Leave a Comment