arkansas state seal

Arkansas Handgun License


  • Must be at least 21 years of age or;
  • 18 years if a member of the US Armed Forces or National Guard.
  • Have been a resident of Arkansas for the last 90 days.
  • Have read the Arkansas concealed carry law.
  • You are a US citizen or legal resident.
  • You have completed an approved firearms training class.
  • Have not within the last five (5) years been convicted of the offense of carrying a weapon.
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons


Follow these steps to obtain a permit;

Online applications are preferred

  1. Take the CHCL firearms safety class.
  2. Within six months of finishing your firearms course apply online.
  3. Write your confirmation number (order ID) on your training certificate.
  4. Visit your local law enforcement agency to have your fingerprints taken.
  5. As soon as possible after your online application, submit a full set of fingerprints and a certificate of training. Include a check or money order for the fee made payable to “Arkansas State Police”.
  6. Mail your Fingerprint cards and training page to;
  7. Arkansas State Police,
    CHCL Section,
    1 State Plaza Drive,
    Little Rock, AR 72209

  8. You will be notified by mail if your application has been approved.

If you do not want to submit an application online the printed application is available in the forms section.

State Information on CHCL license


  • A late fee of $15 will apply if your license has expired.
  • A new application will be required if your license has been expired for more than six months.
  • There is no reduction in fee’s based on a persons age for renewals.

Online Renewals
When you have payed online for your license you will need to contact a Firearms Instructor and complete the required training. The trainer will need to place a confirmation number on your training certificate that is supplied by the online system.

State Info for online renewals


New Permits:
Mailed In
$87 (65 years or older

Online Application
$142.11 (64 years or younger)
$90.61 (65 years or older)

$78.25 late renewal (expired less than six months)

Accepted forms of payment
Credit card and E-checks

There is a $15 late fee for renewals if the license has expired and there is no fee reduction based on age for renewals.


Carry In Vehicle SEE DETAILS
Must Notify Officer YES
Carry In State Parks AllowedYES
No Weapons Signs Enforced YES
Open Carry PermittedSEE DETAILS
Carry In Liquor Establishments YES
Constitutional Carry YES

Permit Information

Arkansas gun laws allow concealed carry permits to be issued to residents only. No permit is required when you are “upon a journey” beyond your county of residence. However, there is still some confusion regarding this law and it will need to be sorted out by the courts. Training and background checks are required for new permit applications. Open carry is permitted in some counties.

states that
honor an arkansas permit
state permits
arkansas honors

CCW Reciprocity Map


CCW license recognition
  • Permit honored
  • Permit not honored
  • Residential permits only
  • Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, , Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Districts & Territories
District of Columbia, New York City, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands


Where You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below

Where You Cannot Carry

  • Any police, sheriff or Arkansas State Police office.
  • Arkansas Highway Police facility.
  • Detention facility, prison or jail.
  • Courthouse or courtroom.
  • Any polling place.
  • Meeting place of any government entity.
  • Meeting place of any session of the Arkansas General Assembly or committee of the General Assembly.
  • Any athletic event not related to firearms competition in which the license holder is participating.
  • Any part or section of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, except a restaurant.
  • Any part of section of an establishment in which alcohol is consumed on the premises, except a restaurant.
  • Any school, college, community college, or university campus building or school/college event unless the event is for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearms related activity.
  • Inside the passenger terminal of any airport, unless the handgun is encased for shipment by lawful transportation.
  • Any church or other place of worship.
  • Any place where a property owner or manager has exercised discretion to prohibit the possession of a firearm.
  • Participating in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required.
  • At a private residence without having first advised the occupants that the license holder is carrying a concealed weapon and given the permission to carry the handgun.
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Details on Arkansas Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the Department of Public Safety. Applications are submitted to the Arkansas State Police
120 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 120 days of the application being received.
YES – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
Arkansas gun laws state that you must inform a law enforcement officer you have a firearm when approached on official business.

GunsToCarry always recommends that you carry your permit, together with photo ID, at all times during which you are in actual possession of a concealed handgun.

Arkansas gun laws give the force of law to “No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

YES/NO – Without a Permit/License
If you do not have a permit handguns must be unloaded and placed in a case. Placing the gun in a glove compartment is illegal. The Attorney General has stated that Permitless carry either open or concealed while in a vehicle while on a “Journey” is legal in Arkansas. But that is not the current law only his opinion. The law is a bit confusing as it states you need a permit to carry in your home county. However, if you are on a journey outside your home county you do not need a permit. There is a case currently moving through the courts that will clarify this matter.

We recommend caution until this matter is resolved.

YES/NO – Without a Permit/License
There is some confusion surrounding open carry from a law change in 2013. The Attorney General’s opinion states that Open Carry without a permit/license is legal. But that is not the law so until the matter is resolved we suggest you do not open carry or do so with caution.
YES – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas.

Get in Touch

Arkansas State Police
CHCL Section


Monday – Friday

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed


Address 1 State Police Plaza Drive

CityLittle Rock, AR 72209

Phone (501) 618-8000

Email [email protected]

Leave a Comment