connecticut state seal


Carry In Vehicle SEE DETAILS
Must Notify Officer NO
Carry In State Parks Allowed NO
No Weapons Signs Enforced YES
Open Carry PermittedSEE DETAILS
Carry In Liquor Establishments YES
Constitutional Carry NO

Permit Information

Connecticut gun laws show a “May Issue” state. However, the state operates more like a “Shall Issue” state due to various court decisions. There is a two step process to obtain a permit. Firstly an applicant must apply for a temporary permit from the local authorities and then another application is made at the state level. This results in you paying for two permits, $140 in total. Connecticut gun laws are also strict on training and they will only accept the NRA’s basic pistol course.

states that
honor a connecticut permit
states permits
connecticut honors

CCW Reciprocity Map


CCW permit recognition
  • Permit honored
  • Permit not honored
  • Residential permits only
  • Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Connecticut does not honor permits from any other states.


Connecticut is a “may issue” state.
Non-Resident permits available.
The permit is valid for 5 years.

  • Must be at least twenty one years of age.
  • A legal resident of the United States.
  • Has a residence or business in the jurisdiction in which they are applying.
  • Intends to use the handgun for only lawful purposes.
  • Is a “suitable person” to receive a permit.
  • Has successfully completed a handgun safety course.
  • Has not been convicted of a felony or a violation of;
    • Criminal possession of a narcotic substance;
    • Criminally negligent homicide;
    • Assault in the third degree;
    • Reckless endangerment in the firstdegree;
    • Unlawful restraint in the second degree;
    • Riot in the first degree;
    • Stalking in the second degree
  • Has not been convicted as a delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense.
  • Has not been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect.
  • Is not subject to a restraining or protective order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person.
  • Is not subject to a firearms seizure order issued for posing a risk of personal injury to self or others after a hearing.
  • Is not prohibited from possessing a firearm for having been adjudicated as a mentally incompetent under federal law.
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Follow these steps to obtain a permit

  1. Complete a handgun safety course. Only the NRA’s basic pistol course is accepted.
  2. Download the application (DPS-799-C) under the FORMS tab.
  3. You will need the following documents;
    • Two fingerprint cards
    • Two copies of your birth certificate or passport
    • Firearms training certificate if you are a resident of Connecticut
  4. Residents apply to the Police Department or First Selectman of the town
  5. Non-residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.
  6. Submit fingerprints for a criminal history check through a law enforcement agency
  7. Upon approval, the local authority will issue a Temporary State Permit effective for 60 days.
  8. You will need a second application (DPS -46-C) which differs from the first and is not available online. Call (860) 685-8290 to have an application sent to you.
  9. Within the 60 day period, go to a DESPP, Division of State Police, pistol permit location and submit the following;
    • The Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers issued by the local authority;
    • A completed Application for State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers (DPS-46-C);
    • $70.00 fee, payable to Treasurer, State of Connecticut;
    • Proof you are legally and lawfully in the United States (e.g., certified copy of birth certificate, U.S. passport.
    • Proof of valid state issued photo identification card.
  10. Upon approval, your photograph will be taken at DESPP and you will be issued a state pistol permit.

New Permits:
$70 (resident)
$135 (non-resident)

Plus Fingerprint and Background Check Fees

You will need to pay for a temporary permit and then a permanent permit resulting in a total cost of $140

  • connecticut concealed carry application form


Where You Can Carry

  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below

Where You Cannot Carry

  • Public or private elementary or secondary school property
  • A permit to carry is required to carry a handgun outside one’s home (even though one may still be on his own property);
  • In any place of business in which one is merely an employee, not an owner or operator;
  • A permit is also required to transport a handgun back and forth between one’s home and place of business, or to and from a range for target shooting.
  • Any building in which the chamber of either house of the General Assembly is located or in which the official office of any member, officer or employee of the General Assembly or the office of any committee of the General Assembly or either house thereof is located or any building in which a committee of the General Assembly is holding a public hearing.
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Details on Connecticut Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the Connecticut State Police.
60 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 60 days of the application being received.
NO – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
There is nothing in Connecticut gun laws that states you must inform a law enforcement officer you have a firearm when approached on official business. The law does require that you carry your permit/license at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.
Connecticut gun laws give the force of law to “No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

NO – Without a Permit/License
You are legally required to have a permit/license to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle.
YES/NO – Without a Permit/License
You cannot open carry without a permit/license. However, if you have a permit/license then open carry is legal but not common. Counties and Cities can set their own laws/regulations on where you can open carry.
YES – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
State parks, national forests and wildlife management area’s are all off limits. You can carry in roadside rest areas.

Get in Touch

Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection
Division of State Police
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit


Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:15pm

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed


Address 1111 Country Club Rd.

CityMiddletown, Ct. 06457

Phone (860) 685-8494

Leave a Comment