IOWA GUN LAWS
Iowa CCW QUICK FACTS
Iowa Reciprocity Map
iowa CCW permit recognition
Districts & Territories
District of Columbia, New York City, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
Iowa CCW Permit
Iowa is a “shall issue” state.
Non-resident permits available.
The permit is valid for 5 years.
There are two types of permits available;
Non-professional – issued to residents
Professional – issued to non-residents, security gaurds
- Must be at least 18 years of age for a Professional permit.
- Must be at least 21 years of age for a Non-Professional permit.
- You must complete a firearms training course.
- You have no pending charges.
- You have no felony convictions.
- You have no outstanding arrest warrants.
- You have not been convicted in any court within the previous three years of a serious or aggravated misdemeanor not involving a firearm or explosives for which the court could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation.
- There is no probable cause to believe you may likely to use a weapon unlawfully or in such other manner as would endanger the person’s self or others based on your actions in the last two years.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Where You Can Carry
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- Weapons Free Zones
- Public or private schools, colleges
- School bus
- Public parks
- Iowa state fairgrounds
- Campus of the three state universities
- State buildings on the capitol complex
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on Iowa Gun Laws
Department of Public Safety
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Address 215 East 7th Street
CityDes Moines, IA 50319-0045
Phone (515) 725-6230