kansas state seal

Kansas ccw QUICK FACTS

Carry In Vehicle YES
Must Notify Officer NO
Carry In State Parks Allowed YES
No Weapons Signs Enforced NO
Open Carry Permitted YES
Carry In Liquor Establishments YES
Constitutional Carry YES

Permit Information

Kansas gun laws operate on an “Unrestricted” and “Shall Issue” policy, the later being used for reciprocity. Anyone who is 21 or older and legally allowed to possess a firearm can carry it concealed without a permit. If a permit is required for out-of-state travel an application can be filed with the local sheriff. Applicants must be at least 21 years old and a resident in the county they file in. The application is executed under oath at the local sheriff's office so must be filled out in front of the sheriff. Permits are not available for non-residents.

states that
honor a kansas permit
state permits
kansas honors

Kansas Reciprocity Map


Kansas CCW license recognition

  • Permit honored
  • Permit not honored
  • Residential permits only
  • Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Districts & Territories
District of Columbia, New York City, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

Permitless Carry

Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia have “Permitless Carry.” If you can legally possess a firearm then you may carry it concealed in those states without a Permit/License.

Kansas CCW Permit

Kansas is an “Unrestricted” & “shall issue” state.
Shall Issue is used for reciprocty.
Residents only.
Permit not required.
The permit is valid for 4 years.

  • Must be at least 21 years of age.
  • You have completed an 8 hour firearms training course.
  • A citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien or an eligible non-immigrant alien.
  • A resident of the State of Kansas with a valid driver’s license or state-issued identification card, or residing in Kansas while serving on active duty in the military.
  • A resident of the county where applying.
  • You have read the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act and are familiar with its provisions.
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons

Off-Limit areas

Where You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • Public grounds and parking lots/garages
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below

Where You Cannot Carry

  • K-12 Schools both Public and Private Buildings if posted “No Firearms”
  • Governors residence
  • Any public building with a posted sign saying “No Firearms”
  • Secure areas of any buildings for a correctional facility, jail facility or a law enforcement agency
  • State courthouses if posted
  • State racetracks if posted
  • Under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Details on Kansas Gun Laws

Kansas Contacts

Kansas Attorney General
Concealed Carry Licensing Unit


Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed


Address 120 SW 10th Ave

CityTopeka, KS 66612-1597

Phone (785) 291-3765



  1. Coming to hunt with a shotgun from out of state. Do I need to declare this when coming to Kansas ? If so to who?

  2. Can I purchase the handgun and leave it at home/farm for my protection without my permit, CCL, and driver’s license?

  3. I’m born and raised in kansas I’m 21 but after highschool I went to college at Texas and lived there now resident of texas with texas ID no felony’s can I purchase a hand gun in my native state with a texas ID or do I have to change My ID to Kansas to be able to purchase a gun

    1. I believe that you must be a resident of state where you reside to purchase . I think any FFL dealer can answer your question, I know that Academy Sports makes that clear in their advertisements

    2. You have to have a current DL for the specific state you’ll be purchasing the firearm in.

    1. No. There is no gun registration in Kansas, regardless of who built it.

  4. Are residents of Nebraska allowed to come to Kansas and buy a handgun with no purchase permit or anything?

    1. Non-residents don’t need purchase permits, because Kansas does not have purchase permits. However, you won’t be able to take possession of your handgun if you aren’t a Kansas resident. The FFL will need to ship it to an FFL in Nebraska, and then you will be required to fill out all the appropriate forms in Nebraska at your local FFL. This is Federal law, not Kansas law.

  5. The website verbage is incorrect in the list, and the number of States, but strangely, the map IS CORRECT.

    New Hampshire needs to be added to the list of States that accept the KS permit (which the map does show correctly), and the number of States should be 38, not 37.

    With the state of KS included, a Kansas permit covers 39 states; not a bad deal at all.

  6. Are we allowed to still carry while wearing masks? I can’t seem to find anything on this for Kansas.

    1. There are no laws in the State of Kansas the prohibit carrying a firearm while wearing a mask.

  7. Can you carry and still be legal if and when they say you must wear a mask

    1. I’m 18 and have a clean record and have been a resident of Kansas all my life. Am I allowed to carry a handgun. Under requirements its states you must be 21, but under open carry it states you must be atleast 18. Does this mean I can own and carry a handgun but only open carry.

      1. Yes you can open carry but I would advise against it. I would instead suggest you go take a concealed carry class and get a permit. Transporting your firearm in a vehicle can be tricky legally when you are under 21 and don’t have a permit. Kansas recently passed a law in 2021 that allows for people ages 18-20 to apply for a permit. I myself am 20 and now have my CCW permit.

  8. I don’t have a CCL but I do carry a pistol. Can I keep my pistol in my can traveling to Oklahoma

    1. I own a gun in Kansas and some of these answer sound like I should have a permit. Then they say you don’t need a permit in Kansas. Then again it list all the states that except Ks permit. What permit ? Do I need to get it ? I was told I didn’t need one that Ks is constitutional carry state. Please clear this up for me

      1. Constitutional carry state if the weapon IS located in Kansas. If you travel outside the state with a weapon you fall under that state’s laws. You can go to your local Kansas Sheriff’s office and fill out the permit forms (in person) and bring your ID. I’m not certain if there is a prep
        fee, but may vary by county.

        Note, this is not the same as concealed carry permit requirements.

  9. The topic of unlawful to carry when wearing a mask is coming up due to covid. Does anyone know any Kansas laws that might cause a conflict?

  10. If I’m visiting Kansas, am I allowed to conceal and carry without a license?

  11. I was born and raised In Kansas. I have been convicted of a non person felon. It’s been over five years since the conviction. Do I have the right to own/posses a firearm?

    1. This is the very short version which there are so many details to be considered, so please do not blast this reply. There are many types of diagnosis which are considered to be a mental illness. It is not illegal to have a mental illness. Mental illness is not always a life long illness. If you need more information regarding understanding mental health disorders, enroll in a Mental Health First Aid Course. It is when you cause harm to yourself and/or others and have an involuntary placement at a State Mental Hospital is when someone will loose the ability to purchase/posses firearms. What can be missed is the local Judicial system from where the person resides filing for this individual to no longer posses fire arms with the federal system. This decision to not posses/purchase is not permanent. A person can appeal the court decision once out of the state mental hospital.

  12. I was given a handgun from an older friend as a thank you. His health went south and passed away. I still have it in its lockbox. What do I do in the state of Kansas. Don’t need a license or permit, but is there anything needed done with the gun to make sure that nothing is illegal, like checking the serial or model number with a Kansas registry? Kinda flummoxed.

    1. If you are worried that the gun may have been stolen sometime in it’s history, it could be checked by whoever your local law enforcement agency is, whether it is a police station or sheriff’s station. Call them first!! Don’t walk into their lobby with a firearm. Just an fyi, they will probably ask you for an ID before they run it. If it is stolen .just be honest with them and tell them how you gained possession. If it is stolen , they will seize it. I used to be a Leo years ago and this actually happened a lot. If it’s not stolen and it is an older gun, it will probably just come back as “record not on file” and then it’s yours to keep. sell or shoot. Hope this helps.

  13. what section for the CCW regulations does it state no mask to be worn while carrying?

  14. I’m under 18. Am I able to have an unloaded rifle in the trunk of my car when I plan to go hunting?

  15. Hi, I’m a KS resident new to gun ownership. Primarily for home protection. If I understand correctly the KS gun laws, I can basically own/carry a firearm if I’m 21 or older and not a felon. That basically sums it up right? Any input is greatly appreciated! Safe and happy shooting!

  16. What are the state laws concerning ccw and wearing a mask?

  17. Wasn’t the CCL age limit set to 18 in March of last year with the HB2326?

    1. You can open carry and conceal carry in Kansas without a permit. Just can’t carry a loaded firearm through a school zone.

  18. I have recently moved to Kansas and wanted to buy a semi auto rifle but because of everything going on right now I can’t get a ID can I use a fishing license to purchase one with my Kansas address?

  19. Okay so I’m 19 and a correctional officer. I can’t buy a handgun but I can have one gifted to me by someone 21 and older, correct?

  20. I just recently got a job in Pratt KS,I am from NYC but NYC has strict law nobody can buy guns,anyways with NYC ID I can’t buy a gun from store in Kansas and also I don’t wanna change my ID but can I buy from private seller ? I went to so many places and attorney office but nobody has the perfect and and also I am not citizen but I have Permanent Residence and Alien number,if I buy from private seller is it gonna be a problem ?? And is gonna be any impact on my citizenship?

    1. If you live in Kansas and plan to drive a vehicle in Kansas, you have to have a driver’s license with your Kansas address on it. To purchase a firearm in Kansas, you must have your Kansas address on your ID. I believe you must be a US citizen to legally purchase a firearm from a dealer in any US state. If you’re not a US citizen, you cannot legally purchase a firearm from a private individual. You and the seller would some trouble for that transaction. If you were a US citizen, a private seller cannot sell a firearm to anyone that resides in another state. You say you reside in Kansas but you must have an ID that proves you live in Kansas.

  21. This map is not up to date, or correct. The way it is right now, 8-11-19, it says that Kansas permits are valid in 37 other States, but only 11 other States on the current map are red (CA, OR, HI, IL, NY, MA, CT, RI, DE, NJ, MD). DC is also included in those not honoring the Kansas permit, but DC isn’t a state. 50 – 11 = 39, which means that it should say 38 states, plus Kansas itself.

    However, Delaware shouldn’t be red. They have recognized Kansas permits as of May of 2018:


    So the total should really be 39 states that recognize a Kansas permit, and not 37.

    1. If I correctly understand the information above you do not have to have a permit when traveling to Missouri

    2. No, you can conceal in Mo, but some municipalities restrict open carry unless you have a ccl. You also cannot carry through a school zone loaded without a Ccl.

  22. I live in Douglas county where do go to apply for conceal and carry ?

    1. You have to go through your county sheriffs department. Only the county in which you reside will do you application. All pertinent information you need can be found on the al’s Atty Generals online page.

    2. You’ll need to take a class. Check your local police station and bass pro or Cabelas.

  23. My brother in law who is 19, wants to buy a handgun from me (25 years old). We both live in the state of Kansas. I have read and heard that even though he is under 21, a private sale can be made and it be legal for him to own the handgun. Is this true? Also, if the private sale is made, would he be allowed to open carry with it under 21?

    1. The minimum age to buy a firearm in Kansas is 18. Federal law, however, prohibits the sale of a handgun to a person under 21 *from a licensed dealer*. Meaning, as far as I can tell, you may indeed sell a handgun to your brother, so long as he isn’t legally prohibited from possessing a firearm.

      He may also open carry until he is 21, at which point he may also concealed carry.

      I would highly recommend researching the law yourself and talk with knowledgeable people to ensure you (and he) won’t potentially break the law.

  24. I am a Kansas resident with a Kansas CCW permit. Colorado shows up on the map as golden,” residential permits only”. What does that mean?

    1. It means you have to be a resident of the state in which the permit was issued. So a Kansas permit would not be honored if the permit holder is an Iowa resident, for example.


    1. First off, it seems to me you are only carrying a BB gun for attention. Why else would anyone carry a BB gun, I mean really…. a BB gun…?

      Second, you may carry the BB gun into the bar so long as you don’t consume any alcohol. The second you do, you will be in violation of the law.

    2. Any private establishment can restrict guns from being carried within their establishment. You can legally carry any firearm into a bar if they allow it and you’re not drinking.

  26. Can you carry your gun on a kids soccer field. School district owns property…

    1. I recently worked for a school district in Kansas. The law says that you can have a firearm concealed within your vehicle on any school property. So under your seat, in the glove box, center console, trunk, etc. are ok. It cannot be seen, even in the slightest, from outside of the vehicle. Also, it cannot be on your person at any time on school property.

      1. You cannot have a loaded firearm in a school zone without a state issued Ccl. Federal law.

    2. Jake, if it’s not in a school zone, you’re okay. If you have a Ccl, you have nothing to worry about.

  27. Hi I’m wanting to travel from wellington kansas to indiana for 4 days I’m bypassing Illinois due to the strict gun laws they don’t except kansas CCW but I need a outta state travel permit can I go to the city police here and get it? And how much does it cost?

  28. I am 20 years old & live in wichita what will I need to travel with my firearm to Oklahoma for a few days for me to have open carry there

    1. As a 20y/o you cannot carry in OK. To legally carry in OK you must have a CCL, which you can only get at 21. But currently there is a bill being passed to the governor right now reducing the age to 18.
      You can possess a firearm in OK but not carry

      1. Ok in wichita am i able to open carry my 40 on my hip in holster?

        1. Yes, Kansas is a constitutional carry state now. No license is required

  29. My dad is a felon. Can I legally have a gun in my car locked in a safe if my dad can not access it? I’m looking to store it in my car so it’s not in the house. I live in Johnson county Kansas. I don’t want my dad to ever get introuble but would like access to my firearm for the range.

    1. You don’t need a permit to carry it in your car, but if you get caught with it as a minor in your car, like if you’re being pulled over, just make sure it’s hidden.

      Or that you’re not caught with it in locations that don’t permit guns, other than that you should be ok

    2. Lock it up in your home but in a major he cannot access it. Car storage is not ideal. If it’s stolen you could get into a world of trouble. It is pricey but a fingerprint safe would be more than sufficient

  30. I understand it is illegal to carry inside a public school building. As a CCW holder am I prohibited from carrying on the property outside? My toddler likes to use the playground equipment on the weekends.

    1. It’s iffy… you can legally carry into a school zone but not into the building. Conceal it well and hope to avoid police interaction.

    2. With a CCL, you’re legally allowed to possess a loaded firearm within a school zone.

  31. I have a KS License but a MO CCW. Can I purchase a semiautomatic fire arm in MO? Reason being is because I went to Academy Sports in MO but they refused to sell me a semiautomatic firearm because I’m not a MO resident. Just was trying to see wasn’t this true??

    1. It is against Federal law to sell a handgun to a non resident of the state that the transaction is taking place in, there is no exemption for a CCW permit holder. Rifles and shotguns do not have this restriction.

    2. You can have the gun transferred to a licensed dealer in your home state. They do the paperwork then they release the gun to you. I just did that from KS to MO.

      1. What causes a delay when I own guns already never been in jail or a felon…or been forced to be in a mental hospital? In KS

  32. What are the consequences of getting caught concealed carrying at 18? When the law only allows you to open carry at 18.

  33. If I’m 19 can I walk into local Kansas cabellas and put rifile in my name ? , would I be able to have it in vechile ? , what’s does the length have to be for it legal ?

    1. You can purchase, possess, and transport a long gun (rifle or shotgun) if you are 18 and above and legal to own a firearm. The minimum barrel length from breach to muzzle must be 16” or longer. I would avoid any barrel that is questionable in length as it is sometimes at the descretion of the enforcing officer. You must be 21 to legally purchase/own a pistol or SBR (short barrel rifle). SBRs require a $200 tax stamp and you must notify law enforcement when traveling or relocating the firearm.

      1. Edit: You can possess a handgun at 18 but you may not purchase one until the age of 21.

        1. Can you carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle if you are under 21 or does it have to be unloaded?

          1. Yes you can, but it cannot be concealed on you. Also, you cannot travel through a school zone with a loaded firearm at 18.

  34. I just went through the process and the AG check fee has dropped to $79.50. The fee for the sherriff still remains at $32.50.

  35. I’m 22 years old and a resident of Alabama. I’m working in Kansas City, Kansas and would like to know if I’m allowed to conceal carry with no permit.

    1. Yes. You don’t have to have a permit in Kansas to CC. But it is very useful to have one if you travel

    2. Yes, but not in a school zone. The firearm would need to be unloaded and locked away from the ammo.

  36. If I am 18 years old and I live in Kansas and my dad hands down a hand gun to me for my birthday can I open carry it ?

  37. So i’m traveling landing in Kansas City MO and then staying in Overland Park KS. I am arriving from NY and have a resident unrestricted conceal carry license. Am i reading this right? So im ok in MO when i land but i can not go to KS. This doesnt make sense to me, why would a state with barely any CC laws not allow me to carry a pistol when i have one of the strictest permits to obtain yet it honors residents from almost every other state?

    1. New York doesn’t honor our (Kansas) CCW permits so I’m guessing that’s why.

    2. Any non resident can open or conceal carry in Kansas. You just can’t carry loaded through a school zone.

      1. I currently live in the state of Oklahoma and will be visiting Liberal Kansas. With that being said, since Oklahoma is a constitutional carry state and so is Kansas can I conceal carry in the state of Kansas? Please reply back

  38. Sooo, whats the difference between “permits honored” and “residential permits only”? IE, Colorado…

    1. to carry in Colorado you must have a residential Kansas CCW. By permits honored is that the state of Kansas honors other states CCWs

    1. a rifle or shotgun. but must be 21 to carry pistol. can transport in car unloaded and secured though.

    2. Open carry, but not concealed. Also, stay out of school zones with a loaded firearm.

  39. My 80 year old father gave me a couple old (1951 and 1959) .22 cal handguns. I live in Kansas but own property in Missouri. I don’t have any intentions on concealed/open carrying these guns I just plan on using them for target practice on my property in Missouri. Do I need to register these? Do I need any type of permit to own these? Am I legal to carry them in my vehicle between home in Kansas and my property in Missouri?

    1. Generally, You can carry a firearm that is unloaded in your vehicle anywhere in the U.S. If there is no ammunition in the gun (magazine, chamber or barrel) it is safe for transport. To be extra cautious, put the gun in an area of the vehicle that is inaccessible by the occupants, and keep the ammunition separate. This is being super cautious. No permit is needed to own a gun, only to buy one. I am not aware of any registration required for heirloom guns, but you could call your sheriffs office to confirm.

        1. I think from reading the comments that I am over 21 that open carrying a pistol is allowed but when in a vehicle has to be secured in a proper place is this correct? So I can’t keep it in the open on my hip correct?

    2. Kansas and Missouri are both constitutional carry states so you can carry a loaded firearm on your self concealed without a permit. This includes in your vehicle. Neither Kansas or Missouri require you to register firearms. Although Kansas laws would be the only you would need to consider if that is your place of residence.

      1. Without a ccl, you cannot travel through a school zone with a loaded firearm.

  40. Does Kansas allow for the substitution of military service to replace the training course? I live in Wisconsin and when applying for a CCW permit I submitted my DD214 to cover the training requirement.

  41. Does Kansas have any questions you have to answer before getting a license? Like things about your history or anything else?

    1. Just moved here from another state do I have to obtain a Kansas ID before purchasing a firearm

    2. When you go to get fingerprinted they have you put down any convictions you have but as long as you can legally buy a firearm the state is required to issue you a permit to carry within 90 days. Other then that it’s just the normal questions you get when buying a firearm l.

    1. i Believe you have to be 21 but you can always call your local sheriffs department and ask them just to know for sure.

  42. Does the permitless public CCW option extend to a non resident who is temporarily present in Kansas but who does not possess a CCW permit from another state? For open public carry?

    1. You don’t need a permit, but you can’t travel through a school zone with a loaded firearm.

    1. K-12 Schools both Public and Private Buildings if posted “No Firearms”

    2. You’re not even allowed in a school zone with a loaded firearm unless you have a state issued ccl. Then, unless approved by the school, you cannot carry into a school building.

  43. concealed carrying isn’t allowed in any governors building at all

Leave a Comment