KENTUCKY GUN LAWS
Kentucky CCW QUICK FACTS
Kentucky Reciprocity Map
Kentucky CCW permit recognition
Districts & Territories
District of Columbia, New York City, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
Kentucky CCW Permit
Kentucky is a “shall issue” state.
The permit is valid for 5 years.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Demonstrate competence with a firearm.
- Resident of Kentucky for at least six months prior to application.
- Are a US citizen or legal resident.
- Not have been committed to a state or federal facility for abuse of a controlled substance or convicted of a misdemeanor relating to a controlled substance within the last three years prior to application.
- Not have two or more convictions for Operating motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or other substance which impairs driving ability within the last three years prior to application.
- Not have been committed as an alcoholic within the last three years.
- Not owe a child support arrearage which equals or exceeds the cumulative amount which would be owed after one year of nonpayment.
- Have complied with any subpoena or warrant relating to child support or paternity proceedings.
- Have not been convicted of Assault in the fourth degree or (Terroristic Threatening in the third degree within the three years immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
WITH CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT
Where You Can Carry
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- Any police station or sheriff’s office
- Any detention facility, prison, or jail
- Any courthouse, courtroom, or court proceeding
- Any meeting of the governing body of a county, municipality, or special district
- Any meeting of the General Assembly or a committee of the General Assembly
- Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose
- Any elementary or secondary school facility
- Any child-caring facility, day-care center, or certified family child-care home
- State and local governments have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them
- Colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them
- An area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on Kentucky Gun Laws
Kentucky State Police
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Address 919 Versailles Road
CityFrankfort, KY 40601