MAINE GUN LAWS
maine ccw QUICK FACTS
Maine Reciprocity Map
Maine CCW permit recognition
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming
Maine will only honor resident permit/licenses from all the states they recognize.
Maine CCW Permits
Maine is an “Unrestricted” & “shall issue” state.
Non-Resident permits available.
No permit is required.
The permit is valid for 4 years.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You are not prohibited by state law from possessing a firearm.
- Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
- You are of good moral character. The issuing authority will make this determination based on past evidence recorded through government entities within the last five years.
- Have not been convicted in a Maine court of a violation of Possession of firearms in an establishment licensed for on premises consumption of liquor within the past 5 years.
- You have you been the subject of an investigation by any law enforcement agency within the past 5 years regarding the alleged abuse by you of family or household members
- Youu have you been convicted in any jurisdiction within the past 5 years of 3 or more crimes punishable by a term of imprisonment of less than one year or of crimes classified under the laws of a state as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of 2 years or less.
- You have not engaged within the past 5 years in reckless or negligent conduct that has been the subject of an investigation by a governmental entity.
- You have not been convicted in a Maine court within the past 5 years of any drug crime.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
PERMIT NOT REQUIRED
Where You Can Carry
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- State Parks
- Acadia National Park
- State Capitol area
- Private property when prohibited by the property owner
- Establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor, if the premises are posted. Note that even if there is no posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs
- Wildlife Sanctuaries
- Labor disputes and strikes
- Baxter State Park
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on Maine Gun Laws
Deparment of Public Safety
Maine State Police
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Address 45 Commerce Dr.
CityAugusta, ME. 04333
Email [email protected]