MASSACHUSETTS GUN LAWS
MASSACHUSETTS ccw QUICK FACTS
Massachusetts Reciprocity Map
Massachusetts CCW license recognition
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin
Massachusetts CCW Permit
Massachusetts is a “may issue” state.
The permit is valid for 6 years (resident) and 1 year (non-resident).
- Must be at least 21 years old
- You must be a US citizen or legal alien.
- Completed a firearms training course.
- Have no Felony
- No Drug violations
- No Violent crimes
- No misdemeanor punishable by more than two years in prison
- You must not have any outstanding warrants
- You must not be subject to a current restraining order
- It must be more than five years since any treatment for drug or alcohol addiction.
- If you have been hospitalized for mental illness, you must submit an affidavit from a registered physician endorsing your ability to possess a firearm.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
- Download the application from under the FORMS tab.
- Resident – Check with your local Police as to what is required, there were some changes in 2017.
- Non-Resident – Check with the Firearms Record Bureau as to what is required, there were some changes in 2017.
- You will be notified within 40 days by mail if your application has been approved or denied.
$100 (Residents 6 years)
$100 (Non-residents 1 year)
WITH CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT
Where You Can Carry
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- Elementary or secondary school, college or university
- Logan Airport security zone
- When using off highway vehicle such as snowmobile
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on Massachusetts Gun Laws
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 40 days of the application being received.
There is nothing in Massachusetts gun laws that state you must inform a law enforcement officer you have a firearm when approached on official business. The law does require you to carry your permit at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.
“No Weapons” signs are not mentioned in Massachusetts gun laws. There are no legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs. They have no force of law unless they are posted in areas that are mentioned in the law as being off limits.
GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.
If you do not have a permit you cannot carry a loaded firearm inside any vehicle. Unlawfully carrying a firearm in a vehicle, or in one’s possession outside one’s residence or place of business, without the required license or card, subjects a person to a mandatory minimum sentence of 1 year in jail, or 2 1/2 years in prison. A permit/license holder can transport a loaded or unloaded handgun on his person or in a motor vehicle if the handgun is under their direct control.
If you do not have a permit/license then you cannot open carry.
There are no laws that prevent a permit/license holder carrying a concealed firearm openly. I would be very cautious though, you will definitely attract attention from law enforcement and could end up a test case.
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas. State wildlife sanctuaries are off-limits.
Firearms Records Bureau
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Address 200 Arlington St. Suite 2200
CityChelsea, MA 02150
Phone (617) 660-4782