minnesota state seal

minnesota ccw QUICK FACTS

Carry In Vehicle SEE DETAILS
Must Notify Officer NO
Carry In State Parks AllowedYES
No Weapons Signs Enforced NO
Open Carry PermittedSEE DETAILS
Carry In Liquor Establishments YES
Constitutional Carry NO

Permit Information

Minnesota gun laws operate on a “Shall Issue” policy. Resident and non-resident permits are available. Applicants must be at least 21 years old and complete a firearms training course. Applications are made at the local level to the county sheriff’s office in the person's county of residence. Non-residents can apply at any sheriff's office. Permits are not required for transporting a firearm, keeping it at home or in a place of business.

states that
honor a minnesota permit
state permits
minnesota honors

Minnesota Reciprocity Map


Minnesota CCW permit recognition

  • Permit honored
  • Permit not honored
  • Residential permits only
  • Issuing state

Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, West Virginia

Idaho – Honors ID Enhanced Only

Minnesota CCW Permit

Minnesota is a “shall issue” state.
Non-resident permits available.
The permit is valid for 5 years.

  • Must be at least 21 years of age
  • Must complete an application form
  • Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota law
  • Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
  • Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
  • Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training.
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons


Where You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below

Where You Cannot Carry

  • Public or private elementary, middle, or secondary school building and grounds
  • A child care center while children are present
  • School bus
  • Portion of a building or facility under the temporary, exclusive control of a public or private school where signs are posted.
  • Public colleges and universities – may have policy restricting the carrying of weapons on their premises by employees and students while on campus
  • Private establishments that have posted a sign banning guns on their premises
  • Places of employment, public or private, if employer restricts the carry or possession of firearms by is employees
  • State correctional facilities
  • State hospitals and grounds
  • Any jail, lockup or correctional facility
  • Courthouse complexes
  • Churches and parking area if posted
  • Offices and courtrooms of the Minnesota Supreme Court and Court of Appeals
  • Any state building
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Details on Minnesota Gun Laws

Minnesota Contacts

Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Apprehension


Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed


Address 1430 Maryland Ave. East

CitySt. Paul, MN 55106

Phone (651) 793-7000


Leave a Reply

6 Comment threads
7 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
12 Comment authors
DanBrian MsafetyproDonLarry Recent comment authors
newest oldest most voted

Does Michigan honor Minnesota carry permit?

Brian M
Brian M

NEED TO FIX. In the summary box, it says for No Weapons Signs Enforced NO but when you read where you cannot carry, it states “Private establishments that have posted a sign banning guns on their premises.”

I don’t give my business to anywhere that posts that anyway, unless out of necessity (only choice kinda thing).

I will look at the MN.gov website to be sure, just wanted to mention the error on this page.


Why training? Well, as a veteran – former LEO – and conceal carry citizen, I am also a career-long trainer/educator. In my professional opinion, to resist training for something as essential – critical – as carrying a firearm is sad to me. Why anyone would not immerse in training regarding all aspects of conceal carry is a puzzlement. In spite of my extensive training in firearms carry & use, from 1972 to this very day, I participate in a minimum of 48 hours of continuing education in conceal carry. Opportunities abound to learn more and further develop the discipline needed… Read more »


In addition to MN permit to carry, which out of state permits would maximize number of states (in in terms of reciprocity)?


Minnesota no longer accepts ANY Nevada concealed carry licenses (nor many others). You must either apply for a “non-resident Minnesota license” OR obtain a “resident” or “non-resident” license from an approved state on the Minnesota Reciprocity List, such as Idaho. See below link:



why do I need to take a class if I have been honorably discharged from army. there is no better training then the army


I think the class is necessary to learn when NOT to shoot. Extremely important.


That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever read, Jerry. You must have been Infantry…

G I Joe
G I Joe

Take the training. Pay attention. The class helps you prove yourself innocent because the system views you as guilty once you fire on someone.