MINNESOTA GUN LAWS
minnesota ccw QUICK FACTS
Minnesota Reciprocity Map
Minnesota CCW permit recognition
Idaho – Honors ID Enhanced Only
North Dakota – Honors ND Class 1 Only
South Dakota – Honors SD Enhanced Permit Only
Minnesota CCW Permit
Minnesota is a “shall issue” state.
Non-resident permits available.
The permit is valid for 5 years.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must complete an application form
- Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota law
- Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
- Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
- Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
WITH CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT
Where You Can Carry
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- Public or private elementary, middle, or secondary school building and grounds
- A child care center while children are present
- School bus
- Portion of a building or facility under the temporary, exclusive control of a public or private school where signs are posted.
- Public colleges and universities – may have policy restricting the carrying of weapons on their premises by employees and students while on campus
- Private establishments that have posted a sign banning guns on their premises
- Places of employment, public or private, if employer restricts the carry or possession of firearms by is employees
- State correctional facilities
- State hospitals and grounds
- Any jail, lockup or correctional facility
- Courthouse complexes
- Churches and parking area if posted
- Offices and courtrooms of the Minnesota Supreme Court and Court of Appeals
- Any state building
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on Minnesota Gun Laws
Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Apprehension
Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm
Address 1430 Maryland Ave. East
CitySt. Paul, MN 55106
Phone (651) 793-7000