NEW MEXICO GUN LAWS
New Mexico CCW QUICK FACTS
New Mexico Reciprocity Map
New Mexico CCW license recognition
Idaho – New Mexico will only honor Idaho’s Enhanced Permits.
New Mexico CCW Permit
New Mexico is a “shall issue” state.
The permit is valid for 4 years.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- A citizen of the United States.
- Complete a firearms training course.
- A resident of New Mexico or is a member of the armed forces whose permanent duty station is located in New Mexico.
- You are not a fugitive from justice.
- You have not been convicted of a felony in New Mexico or any other state or pursuant to the laws of the United States or any other jurisdiction.
- You are not currently under indictment for a felony criminal offense in New Mexico or any other state or pursuant to the laws of the United States or any other jurisdiction.
- You are not otherwise prohibited by federal law or the law of any other jurisdiction from purchasing or possessing a firearm.
- You have not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.
- You are not addicted to alcohol or controlled substances.
- You have satisfactorily completed a firearms training course.
- You have not received a;
- conditional discharge, a diversion or a deferment or been convicted of, pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to a misdemeanor offense involving a crime of violence within the ten year period preceding application;
- been convicted of a misdemeanor offense involving driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs within five years immediately preceding the application for a concealed handgun license;
- been convicted within the ten year period preceding application of a misdemeanor offense involving the possession or abuse of a controlled substance; or
- been convicted of a misdemeanor offense involving assault, battery or battery against a household member.
WITH CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT
Where You Can Carry
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- Public schools, colleges and universities, except in a vehicle if older than 19
- Law enforcement agency facilities
- Courts, any State, County, Municipal or Tribal Court
- State wild life management areas
- Tribal land
- Public buses
- Airport security zones
- On private property where the owner has posted signs indicating that you may not carry or if the owner tells you that you cannot
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on New Mexico Gun Laws
New Mexico Contacts
Department of Public Safety
Concealed Handgun Unit
Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm
Address 6301 Indian School Rd NE
CityAlbuquerque, NM 87110
Phone (505) 841-8053
Email [email protected]