SOUTH DAKOTA GUN LAWS
CCW Reciprocity Map
CCW permit recognition
Districts & Territories
District of Columbia, New York City, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
South Dakota is a “shall issue” state.
The permit is valid for 5 years.
NOTE – three types of permit are available;
Regular – requires clean SD criminal record for five years.
Gold card – requires fingerprinting and a Federal background check.
Enhanced – requires fingerprinting, Federal background check and a firearms safety course.
- Is eighteen years of age or older.
- Has never pled guilty to, nolo contendere to, or been convicted of a felony or a crime of violence.
- Is not habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition.
- Has no history of violence.
- Has not been found in the previous ten years to be a "danger to others" or a "danger to self" or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent.
- Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days.
- Has had no violations of firearms control, unlawful use of weapons, or controlled substances; marijuana, constituting a felony or misdemeanor in the preceding five years.
- Is a citizen of the United States or legal resident alien.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Off Limit Areas
Where You Can Carry
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- An establishment licensed to serve alcoholic beverages on the premises if the establishment derives more than 50% of its sales from alcoholic beverages
- A county courthouse
- An elementary or secondary school premises, including school vehicles or buildings
- A snowmobile, unless firearm is unloaded and entirely enclosed in a carrying case
- A game preserve or refuge
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on South Dakota Gun Laws
Get in Touch
Minnehaha County Sheriff
Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm
Address 415 N. Dakota Ave
CitySioux Falls, SD 57104
Phone (605) 367-4300