washington state seal


Carry In Vehicle SEE DETAILS
Must Notify Officer NO
Carry In State Parks AllowedYES
No Weapons Signs Enforced NO
Open Carry PermittedSEE DETAILS
Carry In Liquor Establishments YES
Constitutional Carry NO

Permit Information

Washington gun laws operate on a "Shall Issue" policy. Concealed carry permits are issued to residents and non-residents who are 21 or older and meet other criteria. Applications are processed by the local sheriff or Police Department. Open carry is legal with a permit. You also need a permit to carry in any vehicle, trains, buses, and cars.

states that
honor a washington permit
state permits
washington honors

CCW Reciprocity Map


Cpl license recognition
  • Permit honored
  • Permit not honored
  • Residential permits only
  • Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah

Idaho – Only the Idaho Enhanced Permit is honored by Washington.
North Dakota – Only the Class 1 North Dakota Permit is honored by Washington.


Washington is a “shall issue” state.
Non-resident permits are available.
The permit is valid for 5 years.

  • Must be at least 21 years of age.
  • Have no pending charges.
  • Have no outstanding arrest warrants.
  • Have no felony convictions.
  • Are subject to a court order or injunction concerning the possession of firearms.
  • Are free on bond or personal recognizance while awaiting trial, appeal, or sentencing for a felony offense.
  • Have not been asked to forfeit a firearm within the last 12 months.
  • Do not have a revoked concealed pistol license.
  • You have no mental health conditions.
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Follow these steps to obtain a license

  1. You may complete an application form at one of the following law enforcement offices:
    • If you live in the unincorporated area of a county you must apply in person at your sheriff’s office.
    • If you live in an incorporated city within the county, you may apply in person at either the city police department or sheriff’s office.
    • If you are not a Washington State resident, you may apply at any local law enforcement agency in Washington.
  2. Download the application under the FORMS tab
  3. You will need photo ID such as a drivers license or state ID card.
  4. You will need proof you have lived in the state for at least 90 days
  5. Take these to the local Sheriffs Office and have your fingerprints taken.
  6. You will be notified by mail if your application has been approved. It will take 30 to 60 days to complete the background check and issue the license
Concealed pistol license: $36 plus fingerprinting fees
Renewal: $32
Late renewal: $42
Replacement: $10
Firearms dealer license: $125
Alien firearms license: $50 plus fingerprinting fees

Acceptable forms of payment
Check, Money order – payable to the law enforcement agency

  • washington concealed carry application form


Where You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • State wildlife management area’s
  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicles
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below

Where You Cannot Carry

  • Public schools
  • Correctional facility
  • Law enforcement facility
  • State courthouses
  • Mental health facilities
  • Outdoor music festival
  • Secured areas in airports
  • Places listed below that have Rules that state no firearms allowed on Premises;
    • Colleges/Universities,
    • Licensed Child Care Facilities,
    • Racing Association Grounds,
    • An Emergency Respite Center,
    • Licensed Pregnant and Parenting Teen Residential Programs And Their Facilities,
    • Licensed Homes and Facilities That Provide Care To Children,
    • Overnight Youth Shelter & Residence Operated By the Juvenile Rehabilitation Administration
  • All facilities operated by the Office of Administrative Hearings
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Details on Washington Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the police chief or sheriff in the area of your residence. A non-resident can apply anywhere in the state.
30 – 90 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 30 days of the application being received if you have a Washington drivers license. If you do not have a Washington drivers license the processing time increases to 90 days
NO – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
Washington gun laws require you to have your permit/license on you at all times you are carrying a firearm and display the permit to an officer if requested to do so. You do not have to inform law enforcement you are carrying a firearm.
“No Weapons” signs are not mentioned in Washington gun laws. There are no legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs. They have no force of law unless they are posted in areas that are mentioned by the law as being off limits.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

YES/NO – Without a Permit/License
If you do not have a permit then it is illegal to carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle. You can still carry a firearm if it is unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper.
With a permit, you can carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle as long as you have your permit with you at all times.
YES – Without a Permit/License
Open carry without a permit is legal. However, you will need a permit/license to carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle. Any vehicle means cars, buses, and trains. The minimum age for open carry is 21.
YES – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
You are restricted to areas of the restaurant where persons under the age of 21 are allowed.

“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.

You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas.

Get in Touch

King County Courthouse
Records Unit


Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed


Address 516 Third Ave, Rm W-150

CitySeattle, WA 98104

Phone (206) 263-2626

Leave a Comment