wisconsin state seal


Carry In Vehicle SEE DETAILS
Must Notify Officer NO
Carry In State Parks AllowedYES
No Weapons Signs Enforced YES
Open Carry Permitted YES
Carry In Liquor Establishments YES
Constitutional Carry NO

Permit Information

Wisconsin gun laws operate on a “Shall Issue” policy. Permits are issued to residents only, who are 21 or older, have completed a firearms training course, and meet other criteria. Non-resident permits will only be issued to military personnel. Applications are processed at the state level by the Wisconsin Department of Justice and can be filed online or by mail.

states that
honor a wisconsin permit
state permits
wisconsin honors

CCW Reciprocity Map


CCW license recognition
  • Permit honored
  • Permit not honored
  • Issuing state

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

Virginia – Wisconsin will not honor the Virginia Resident Permit/License only their Non Resident Permit/License.
West Virginia – Wisconsin will only honor West Virginia permits issued/renewed after 6/8/12.
Alaska – Only licenses issued/renewed after 1/14/13 are honored in Wisconsin.
Missouri – Only licenses issued/renewed on or after 8/28/13 are honored in Wisconsin.
Ohio – Only Permits Issued/renewed on or after March 23, 2015 are honored in Wisconsin.
Massachusetts – Only Honors the Class A Massachusetts Permit.
South Dakota – Wisconsin Only Honors the Enhanced and Gold Licenses.


Wisconsin is a “shall issue” state.
Residents only.
The permit is valid for 5 years.

  • Must be at least 21 years old
  • Applicant can provide adequate proof of training
  • Applicant is not prohibited by a court order from possessing a firearm
  • Applicant is a Wisconsin resident as indicated by a current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license or identification card or is active military stationed in Wisconsin.
  • You have not been convicted of a felony in Wisconsin
  • You have not been convicted of a crime elsewhere that would be a felony if convicted in Wisconsin.
  • You have not been adjudicated delinquent for an act committed on or after April 21, 1994, that if committed by an adult in this state would be a felony.
  • You have not been committed to treatment and ordered not to possess a firearm.
  • You have not found not guilty or not responsible for a crime elsewhere that would be a felony in this state by reason of insanity or mental illness, disease or defect.
  • You have not been adjudicated delinquent for an act committed on or after April 21, 1994, that if committed by an adult in this state would be a felony.
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Follow these steps to obtain a permit

  1. Complete your firearm training course if required.
  2. Decide if you are going to file your application online or by mail.
  3. For mail applications download the application under the FORMS tab.
  4. You will need the following documents;
    • The completed application form (pages 2- 4) containing: Three (3) required original signatures, no photo copies
    • Current Wisconsin residential mailing address
    • Current and valid Wisconsin driver license or identification card number
    • Acceptable proof of training
    • Payment of $40 fee
  5. Mail the application to;
    Wisconsin Department of Justice
    Attn: Firearms Unit
    PO Box 7130
    Madison, WI, 53707-7130

  6. You will be notified by mail if your application has been approved.

Applications can also be filed online.

New Permits: $40
Renewal: $22

Accepted forms of payment
Check, Money order – payable to “Wisconsin Department of Justice.” Name and address must be imprinted on the checks (no “counter or starter checks”).

  • wisconsin concealed carry application form


Where You Can Carry

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state – except those listed below

Where You Cannot Carry

  • Building that is a police station, sheriff’s office, state patrol station.
  • Prison, jail, house of correction, or secured correctional facility.
  • Secure mental health facility for sexually violent Persons.
  • Wisconsin Resource Center.
  • Secured unit of a mental health institute, including a facility designated as the Maximum Security Facility at Mendota Mental Health Institute.
  • County, state, or federal courthouse.
  • Municipal courtroom if court is in session.
  • Beyond a security checkpoint in an airport.
  • School grounds or within 1000 feet of a school. This applies to elementary school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school, or high school.
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Details on Wisconsin Gun Laws

Concealed carry permits/licenses are issued by the Wisconsin Department of Justice
21 Days
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 21 days of the application being received.
NO – Must Inform Officer on Contact By Law
Nothing in Wisconsin gun laws say that you need to disclose to a police officer that you are carrying a concealed weapon. However, if the officer requests documentation then the law says you must show him your license and photo ID.

“A licensee shall have with him or her, during all times he or she is carrying a concealed weapon, his or her license document, photographic identification card, and, if the licensee is a military resident, his or her military license.”

Wisconsin gun laws give the force of law to “No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.

GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.

YES – Without a Permit/License
Anyone without a permit must carry the handgun unconcealed in a vehicle. The law specifically states you must not come within 1000 feet of a school. Under Federal law, you can go within the 1000 feet zone if the gun is unloaded and secured.
If you have a permit from Wisconsin then you can carry a concealed handgun within a vehicle.
YES – Without a Permit/License
Open carry is legal without a permit/license if you are at least 18 years old and allowed to possess a firearm.
YES – In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas.

Get in Touch

Wisconsin Department of Justice


Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm

Saturday Closed

Sunday Closed


Address 17 W. Main St.

CityMadison, WI 53703

Phone (608) 266-1221

Leave a Comment