WYOMING GUN LAWS
CCW Reciprocity Map
CCW permit recognition
Wyoming is an “Unrestricted” & “shall issue” state
Shall issue is used for reciprocity
Constitutional carry – no permit required (residents only)
The permit is valid for 5 years
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Resident of Wyoming for not less than six months
- Does not suffer from physical infirmity which prevents safe handling of a firearm
- Demonstrates familiarity with a firearm
- Does not chronically or habitually use alcoholic liquor and malt beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired
- Is not currently adjudicated to be legally incompetent
- Has not been committed to a mental institution
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
- Download the application under the FORMS tab.
- Fill out the form and print 4 copies.
- Obtain a money order or cashiers check for the application fee. Made out to DCI or WY Attorney Generals Office. They do not accept cash, credit cards or personal checks.
- Ask your local Sheriffs office about their fees which will be separate from the DCI fees.
- Take the forms and money order to the Sheriffs office in the county you reside in.
- . Once all applications are submitted to the Sheriff’s Office, the remaining copy is to be taken to a Wyoming DOT Driver’s Services office to have your picture taken for the permit. This must be done within 10 days of your application.
- You will be contacted within 60 days by the Sheriffs office when they receive your permit.
Renewal: $45 before expiration date
Renewal: $55 after expiration date
Duplicate permit: $5
Acceptable forms of payment
Money order or Cashier’s check – payable to DCI. They do not accept cash, credit cards or personal checks.
The sheriff’s office may charge a separate fee for processing and fingerprinting.
NO PERMIT REQUIRED
Where You Can Carry
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- Any facility used primarily for law enforcement operations or administration without the written consent of the chief administrator
- Any detention facility, prison or jail
- Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in the courtroom.
- Any meeting of a governmental entity
- Any meeting of the legislature or a committee thereof
- Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms
- Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose
- Any place where persons are assembled for public worship, without the written consent of the chief administrator of that place
- Any elementary or secondary school facility
- Any college or university facility without the written consent of the security service of the college or university
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on Wyoming Gun Laws
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 90 days of the application being received.
There are no legal requirements under Wyoming gun laws to tell law enforcement you have a firearm. The law does state that you must carry the permit, together with valid identification, at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun and shall produce both documents upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
Wyoming gun laws give the force of law to “No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.
GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.
Any person who can legally possess a firearm is allowed to carry a loaded handgun inside a vehicle as long as it is not concealed on your person and is visible.
Wyoming residents who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed on their person in a vehicle without any type of permit/license.
Non-residents must have a permit/license to carry a concealed firearm in a vehicle.
Open carry is legal in Wyoming.
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas.
Get in Touch
Division of Criminal Investigation
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Address 208 South College Dr.
CityCheyenne, WY 82007
Phone (307) 777-7181
Email [email protected]