MAINE GUN LAWS
Concealed Carry Guide
CCW Reciprocity Map
CCW permit recognition
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming
Maine will only honor resident permit/licenses from all the states they recognize.
Maine is an “Unrestricted” & “shall issue” state.
Non-Resident permits available.
No permit is required.
The permit is valid for 4 years.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You are not prohibited by state law from possessing a firearm.
- Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
- You are of good moral character. The issuing authority will make this determination based on past evidence recorded through government entities within the last five years.
- Have not been convicted in a Maine court of a violation of Possession of firearms in an establishment licensed for on premises consumption of liquor within the past 5 years.
- You have you been the subject of an investigation by any law enforcement agency within the past 5 years regarding the alleged abuse by you of family or household members
- Youu have you been convicted in any jurisdiction within the past 5 years of 3 or more crimes punishable by a term of imprisonment of less than one year or of crimes classified under the laws of a state as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of 2 years or less.
- You have not engaged within the past 5 years in reckless or negligent conduct that has been the subject of an investigation by a governmental entity.
- You have not been convicted in a Maine court within the past 5 years of any drug crime.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
- To apply for a permit/license in Maine, you must read the CCW pamphlet entitled Laws Relating to Permits to Carry Concealed Firearms.
- Download the application from under the FORMS tab.
- Complete and return the following;
- An application for a concealed carry permit.
- Two Authority to Release Information forms.
- Fee of $35 fee for a new applicants or a $20 renewal fee for a renewal application made payable to the Treasurer, State of Maine.
- Any necessary copies of CCW permits issued by other states or municipalities within Maine.
- A valid copy of the DD-214 form for members of the Armed Forces.
- A valid copy of a birth certificate or INS document.
- One color passport photograph at 2″ x 2″.
- Proof of knowledge of handgun safety.
New Permits: $35
The cost is $2 for a duplicate permit, change of address or name change.
PERMIT NOT REQUIRED
Where You Can Carry
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- State Parks
- Acadia National Park
- State Capitol area
- Private property when prohibited by the property owner
- Establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor, if the premises are posted. Note that even if there is no posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs
- Wildlife Sanctuaries
- Labor disputes and strikes
- Baxter State Park
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on Maine Gun Laws
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 30 days of the application being received if you have been a resident for more than 5 years. If your residency is under 5 years it can take up to 60 days to process your application.
No License – Under Maine gun laws if you are carrying under permitless carry you must inform law enforcement immediately you have a concealed firearm.
With license – If you have a permit/license that Maine honors then you do not need to inform law enforcement you are carrying a firearm. You are required to present your permit/license and ID when requested to do so.
Maine gun laws give “No Weapons” signs force of law. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.
GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.
Any person in Maine older than 21 years (18 – 20 if in the military) who can legally own a firearm can carry a loaded, concealed handgun in a motor vehicle without a permit/license.
Open carrying a handgun without a permit/license in Maine is legal but not common in cities. You cannot open carry in State Parks.
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
If you are a resident of Maine then you are permitted to conceal carry firearms in state parks, state forests, and roadside rest areas. Wildlife management areas are off limits and it is illegal to open carry in state parks.
Get in Touch
Deparment of Public Safety
Maine State Police
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Address 45 Commerce Dr.
CityAugusta, ME. 04333