NEW JERSEY GUN LAWS
Concealed Carry Guide
CCW Reciprocity Map
CCW permit recognition
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia
New Jersey is a “May Issue” state.
The permit is valid for 2 years.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Is a person of good character.
- Has demonstrated he or she is familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns.
- Has demonstrated a justifiable need to carry a handgun.
- Have references from three persons who have known applicant for a minimum of three years.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
- Complete your firearm training course.
- Download the application from under the FORMS tab.
- Obtain three references, must have known the applicant for a minimum of three years
- Complete the application form in triplicate.
- All original copies must be notarized.
- You will need the following documents;
- Completed application form
- Four color passport size photographs
- Completed Consent For Mental Health Search, form
- Submit in writing a justifiable reason for the issuance of a permit to carry a handgun
- Firearms training certificate
- A money order for $50.00 payable to, “Treasurer – State of New Jersey
- Present these to your local state police station.
- Your fingerprints will be taken.
- You will be notified within 60 days by mail if your application has been approved or denied.
New Permits: $50
WITH CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT
Where You Can Carry
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
Details on New Jersey Gun Laws
New Jersey does not have laws which allow individuals with valid permits to carry a handguns from other states to carry a handgun in New Jersey.
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 60 days of the application being received.
There is nothing in New Jersey gun laws that state you must inform a law enforcement officer you have a firearm when approached on official business. The law is also silent about carrying a permit.
GunsToCarry always recommends that you carry your permit, together with photo ID, at all times during which you are in actual possession of a concealed handgun.
Have not been able to locate any information on NO WEAPONS signs.
GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.
Carrying a loaded handgun inside any vehicle without a permit/license in New Jersey is illegal. Unless the handgun is unloaded and contained in a closed and securely fastened case, or locked in the trunk.
Open carrying a handgun without or with a permit/license in New Jersey is illegal. Your permit/license gives you the right to carry a concealed firearm, and you must carry it concealed.
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
You are permitted to carry in state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas. You cannot carry in state parks.
Get in Touch
New Jersey State Police
Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm
Address P.O. Box 7068
CityWest Trenton, NJ 08628