SOUTH CAROLINA GUN LAWS
Concealed Carry Guide
South Carolina Weapons Permit
- South Carolina CWP Permit Requirements
- South Carolina CWP Permit Application
- South Carolina CWP Handgun Permit Renewals
- South Carolina CWP Handgun Permit Fee's
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- You have completed an approved firearms training class.
- Reside in South Carolina, or if a resident of another state submit proof you own property in South Carolina.
- You have not been convicted of a violent crime that is a felony.
- You must have actual or corrected vision of 20/40.
- Are not a person who, by order of a circuit judge or county court judge of South Carolina, has been adjudged unfit to carry or possess a firearm.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Follow these steps to obtain a concealed carry permit;
- Complete your firearm training course if required.
- Download the application form.
- You will need the following documents;
- Photocopy of drivers license or state ID card.
- Real property tax form R168 – for non-resident applicants.
- Application form signed by by you and firearms instructor.
- Two complete fingerprint cards.
- Applicants must include a non-refundable payment of $50.00 (certified check, cashier’s check, or money order) made payable to SLED.
- You must submit a signed copy of the SLED CWP Instructor/Student Checklist with your application
- CWP training courses must have been completed within three years of filing the application.
- Active duty military applicants must submit military orders. Retired or former military applicants must submit a copy of their DD214.
SLED Data Center,
PO Box 21398,
Columbia, SC 29221-1398
- Permits can be renewed within 90 days of the expiration date.
- If any information has changed since your last application such as, address, name, telephone, then you must submit a paper application.
- Online applications cannot be accepted if it is more than 89 days before the expiration date or the permit has been expired more than 60 days.
PO Box 21398
Columbia, SC 29221
Attn: CJIS Dissemination
The new permit application form is also used for permit renewals.
Accepted forms of payment
Certified check, Cashiers check, Money order – payable to SLED
CWP Reciprocity Map
CWP permit recognition
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming
Idaho – South Carolina will only honor the Idaho Enhanced Permit.
South Dakota – South Carolina will only honor the South Dakota Enhanced Permit.
Mississippi – South Carolina will only honor the Mississippi Enhanced Permit.
CWP Permit Forms
Download Your Forms
WITH CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT
Where You Can Carry
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Where You Cannot Carry
- Law enforcement office or facility
- Detention or correctional facility
- Courthouse or courtroom
- Polling place on election days
- Office of or the business meeting the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district
- School or college athletic event not related to firearms
- Daycare or preschool facility
- Place where federal law prohibits the carrying of firearms
- Church or other established religious sanctuary
- Medical services facilities
- Place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon on the premises
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Details on South Carolina Gun Laws
The application for a concealed carry permit/license must be processed within 90 days of the application being received.
South Carolina gun laws require you to inform a law enforcement officer you are carrying a firearm when approached on official business. You are also legally required to carry your permit at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.
South Carolina gun laws give the force of law to“No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.
GunsToCarry recommends that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.
Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it loaded if contained in a closed Glove Box, Console, Trunk, or a vehicle without a trunk in the Luggage Area in a container secured with fasteners. With a permit from South Carolina or other recognized state, you can carry a loaded concealed handgun in a vehicle.
Carrying a handgun without a permit/license in South Carolina is illegal. Even if you have a concealed permit you still cannot legally open carry.
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
You are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas.
Get in Touch
law enforcement division (sled)
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Address 4400 Broad River Road
CityColumbia, SC 29210
Phone (803) 896-7015