TEXAS GUN LAWS
Concealed Carry Guide
Texas Handgun License
- Texas LTC License Requirements
- Applying for a Texas LTC License
- Texas LTC License Renewals
- Texas LTC License Fee's
- Is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);
- Is at least 21 years of age; or at least 18 if you are a member or veteran of the US Armed Forces, Reserves or National Guard or was discharged under honorable conditions.
- Has not been convicted of a felony;
- Is not charged with the commission of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense, or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense, or of a felony under an information or indictment;
- Is not a fugitive from justice for a felony or a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense;
- Is not a chemically dependent person;
- Is not incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun;
- Has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense;
- is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun;
- Has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;
- Has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state;
- Is not currently restricted under a court protective order or subject to a restraining order affecting the spousal relationship, other than a restraining order solely affecting property interests;
- Has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law of the grade of felony; and
- Has not made any material misrepresentation, or failed to disclose any material fact, in an application submitted pursuant to Section 411.174.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Follow these steps to obtain a permit
- Download the application form or submit an online application.
- Schedule an appointment for fingerprinting. All fingerprints must be submitted through L-1 Enrollment Services
- Applicants must also complete 4 – 6 hours of classroom training and pass a written exam and then pass a proficiency demonstration (shooting).
The classroom training can be done online.
- Once training is completed you must submit a Certificate of Training to the Dept. of Public Safety to complete the application.
If you are making the application by mail send your application to;
Texas Department of Public Safety
Concealed Handgun – MSC 0245
PO Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0001
Phone: (512) 424-7293
Out of state residents must supply a color copy, front and back, of your state drivers license or ID card.
A proficiency certificate not greater than two years old from a course approved by the DPS.
Non-Residents can make applications online or via mail.
- Handgun license renewals can be submitted 6 months prior to the expiration date of the license.
- Renewals can be made up to 12 months after the expiration date of license.
- Renewal applications made after 12 months from the expiry date will be treated as a new application.
- From the 1 September, 2013 renewal applicants no longer have to attend a training class.
- Renewals can be made online
- You will usually be notified about 6 months before your license expires to renew it.
HANDGUN LICENSE FEE’S
|Active Judicial or Probation Officer||$25||$25|
|Retired Judicial Officer||$25||$25|
|Active Military/Peace Officer/Correctional Officer/County Jailer||$0||$0|
|Retired Peace Officer/Federal Officer||$25||$25|
|Veteran (Honorably Discharged)||$25||$25|
Texas CCW License
CCW Reciprocity Map
CCW license recognition
State Reciprocity List
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
- Rhode Island – Texas only honors RI Permits issued by the Attorney General of Rhode Island.
- Ohio – Texas only honors Ohio Permits issued/renewed on or after 3/23/15.
LTC License Forms
Download Your Forms
Pointers: Texas Gun Laws
Where Can I Conceal Carry?
Places CCW Carry is Off-Limits
Places CCW Carry is Allowed
Details on Texas Gun Laws
The application for a concealed carry handgun license must be processed within 60 – 180 days of the application being received. Applications can take up to 180 days if there is missing documents or information.
There seems to be a bit of confusion here with some websites claiming you need to inform a law enforcement officer you have a weapon. The fact is the law does not mention this and you are not legally required to inform law enforcement you have a weapon. However, the law does require you to hand over your firearm licence and ID if requested to do so by law enforcement. Please watch the video on traffic stops for more clarification.
Sec. 411.205 Requirement to Display License
Texas gun laws give “No Weapons” signs the force of law. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.
Any person who can legally possess a handgun can carry it within a vehicle.
With License – You can open carry if the firearm is in a shoulder or belt holster. You can conceal carry in any mode you desire.
Without License – The firearm must be concealed in the glove box, console or other area but not on your person.
Open is permitted if you have a license to carry. The firearm must also be in a shoulder holster or a belt holster. These are the only ways Texas law allows open carry. The police also have authority to ask for your license to carry when you open carry.
“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
State/National Forests: YES
State Wildlife Management Areas: YES
Roadside Rest Areas: YES
TX Park & Wildlife Dept. Exec. Dir. Order No. 98-001
21 § 1277.
Texas CCW Links
Get in Touch
Texas department of public safety
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Address 5805 North Lamar Blvd.
CityAustin, TX 78752-4431
Phone (512) 424-7293
Updates & Data
|10/12/17||Updated Ohio page, added new sections to statistics page|
|10/5/17||Added video section to Florida page|
|10/3/17||Updated Nevada page|
|10/2/17||Updated Georgia page|
|9/30/17||Updated Texas page|
|9/30/17||Entered new figures for latest 2017 NICS checks on Statistics page|
|9/29/17||Updated Pennsylvania page|
|9/26/17||Updated Florida page, added new links, forms and sections|
|7/22/17||updated permit numbers to latest figures|
|6/29/17||Updated permit numbers to 14,917,279|
|6/17/17||updated interface, added new travel info and other sections.|
- Crime Prevention Research Center
- Texas Department of Public Safety – Reports & Statistics
- Mandy Tennill, – Records Analyst, Operations and Shared Services, Regulatory Services Division, Texas Department of Public Safety
- Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) Fee Table
- Texas Department of Public Safety, Regulatory Services Division – License to Carry A Handgun
The percentage of population with a permit is actually 5.84%, we had to round it off to 6% as our counter will only accept whole numbers.
More detailed information can be found on the Statistics page.
All data is updated once per year.